"1 Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth! 2 Serve the Lord with gladness! Come into his presence with singing! 3 Know that the Lord, he is God! It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. 4 Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise! Give thanks to him; bless his name! 5 For the Lord is good; his steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations."
vs. 1 - make a joyful noise (ruwa') - "to shout in triumph, to split the ears with sound, to shout for joy, to cry out with a loud voice"
vs. 2 - serve ('abad) - "to work, to offer sacrifices to God, to worship God"
vs. 2 - gladness (simchah) - "joy, pleasure, laughter, glee"
vs. 3 - know (yada') - "to know by experience, to perceive, to distinguish, to consider, to find out, to confess, to admit, to recognize, to be instructed, to ascertain by seeing"
vs. 3 - made ('asah) - "to fashion, to accomplish, to bring about, to ordain, to create, to complete"
vs. 4 - thanksgiving (towdah) - "confession, praise, an extension of the hand, adoration, avowal (an open statement of affirmation; frank acknowledgment or admission)"
vs. 4 - bless (barak) - "to kneel, to adore, to praise, to thank"
vs. 4 - name (shem) - "fame, reputation, glory"
vs. 5 - good (towb) - "pleasant, agreeable, kind, right (ethical), loving, beautiful, best, distinguished, great"
vs. 5 - endures (dowr) - "dwelling, evermore, posterity, an age"
vs. 5 - faithfulness ('emuwnah) - "firmness, fidelity, steadfastness, steadiness, security, truth"
What does this reveal about God's character?
God is God. He is our Creator and our Father. God is good, loving and faithful, enduring unto all generations. He is worthy of our praise, adoration and worship.
1) Do I serve God with gladness or begrudgingly?
2) When I approach God in prayer, do I thank Him first or immediately start with my requests?
3) In what ways do I think beginning my prayers with thanksgiving would transform my relationship with God and my prayer life?
4) Am I relying on God's firmness, uprightness, and steadfastness on a consistent basis? Do I find myself always exhausted and emotionally drained from trying to live out of my own strength instead of out of God's strength?
5) List all the ways in which God is good, in both general and personal ways.
Father God, thank you that your character is reliable, unchanging, loving and faithful. You are God and you are a good God. I praise and worship your name today. Thank you for lovingly creating me and faithfully sustaining me. Lord, help me to be ever mindful of you. Cause me to remember all you have done (Psalms 103:1-2). May your praise always be on my lips (Psalms 34:1). In Jesus' name, Amen.