(1) I waited patiently for the Lord; he inclined to me and heard my cry; (2) He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure. (3) He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God. Many will see and fear, and put their trust in the Lord. (4) Blessed is the man who makes the Lord his trust, who does not turn to the proud, to those who go astray after a lie! (5) You have multiplied, O Lord my God, your wondrous deeds and your thoughts toward us; none can compare with you! I will proclaim and tell of them, yet they are more than can be told. (6) In sacrifice and offering you have not delighted, but you have given me an open ear. Burnt offering and sin offering you have not required.
(7) Then I said, “Behold, I have come; in the scroll of the book it is written of me: (8) I delight to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart.” (9) I have told the glad news of deliverance in the great
congregation; behold, I have not restrained my lips, as you know, O Lord. (10) I have not hidden your deliverance within my heart; I have spoken of your faithfulness and your salvation; I have not concealed your steadfast love and your faithfulness from the great congregation. (11) As for you, O Lord, you will not restrain your mercy from me; your steadfast love and your faithfulness will ever preserve me! (12) For evils have encompassed me beyond number; my iniquities have overtaken me, and I cannot see; they are more than the hairs of my head; my heart fails me. (13) Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me! O Lord, make haste to help me! (14) Let those be put to shame and disappointed altogether who seek to snatch away my life; let those be turned back and brought to dishonor who delight in my hurt! (15) Let those be appalled because of their shame who say to me, “Aha, Aha!” (16) But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you; may those who love your salvation say continually, “Great is the Lord!” (17) As for me, I am poor and needy, but the Lord takes thought for me. You are my help and my deliverer; do not delay, O my God!
vs. 1 - waited patiently - "look for, hope, expect, linger for"
vs. 1 - inclined - "to stretch out, turn, bend down"
vs. 1 - heard - "understand, to hear with attention or interest, listen"
vs. 2 - set - "to be established, to be fixed, to persist"
vs. 2 - secure - "to be established, be stable, firm, be enduring, be directed aright, fixed aright, be steadfast, be ready, prepare, to order, to arrange"
vs. 3 - new song - "fresh song"
vs. 4 - blessed - "happiness"
vs. 3 - trust - "confidence, refuge, security"
vs. 5 - thoughts - "device, plan, purpose, invention"
vs. 10 - spoken - "to think, to utter, to boast, to act proudly"
vs. 10 - concealed - "hidden, to cover, cut down"
vs. 11 - faithfulness - "truth, sureness, reliability, continuance, stability"
vs. 11 - preserve - "to guard, to watch over, keep, be blockaded, to be kept close, guard from dangers, guard with fidelity"
vs. 12 - see - "to look up, have vision, perceive, behold, gaze at"
vs. 12 - heart - "inner man, mind, will, heart, soul, seat of courage, seat of emotions and passions"
vs. 12 - fails - "leave, forsake, let alone, abandon, neglect"
vs. 13 - be pleased - "accept favorably, to accept, satisfy"
vs. 16 - be glad - "rejoice, exult"
vs. 16 - great - "to become great or important, be magnified, praise, to promote, to make powerful"
vs. 17 - takes thought - "mindful, think, plan, esteem, count, to value and regard, to consider"
vs. 17 - deliverer - "to bring to security, save"
What does this reveal about God's character?
God is for us. He loves us with an everlasting love and longs to deliver and rescue us. He is attentive and faithful to His people and listens when we cry out to Him. He is a purposeful God, who has a specific plan for each of us.
1) Am I waiting patiently and expectantly for the Lord? Or do I take matters into my own hands?
2) Do I believe God longs to listen attentively to my cry? If not, what deep rooted issue or experience is stopping me from believing God loves me and longs to rescue me?
3) Do I boast about the Lord? Or do I hide my faith or cut down the things of God?
4) Is my gaze fixed on Jesus? Or am I unable to see his faithfulness and goodness?
5) Do I magnify the Lord?
6) What is preventing me from fully trusting in the Lord?
Father God, I pray you would make your love for me real to me. Open my eyes to see your faithfulness, your goodness, your steadfast love for me. I pray you would guide me along the plan that you have for me and that you would set my feet on secure ground. Give me a heart that seeks you always and trusts you wholly. Lord, give me the holy boldness to proclaim your name throughout the world, to boast of you. Thank you for your unfailing love for me and for rescuing me from the pits of destruction and death. I give myself fully unto you and allow you to mold and shape my heart to be more like you. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen!